Do your Parents, friends, colleagues, roommates keep asking you how to setup their smart devices? Are you the person people call when they have an issue with their network, TV, or tech devices? Well if so you could be the perfect person to start a Smart Home Automation Business.
If you’re looking for a way to make money from your existing tech skills, then helping people with their smart home could be a profitable business for you.
Why Start a Smart Home Automation Business
Smart Home systems and accessories have exploded over the last few years. While setting up a smart home system might seem simple to some people, to others it can seem like an extremely daunting task. As a Smart Home Business you would be recommending the right setup, installing and providing support.
Here’s why people would use a smart home business:
- Convenience – Setting up a Smart home can take a lot of time. People are willing to pay for convenience
- Expertise – If you know your stuff then you’ll be able to provide valuable advice to customers on what to buy and what to avoid.
- Complex Installations – While many smart home products don’t require any wiring, there are more complex products that need mains wiring or need to be connected to the network via cabling. This type of installation might require a special skillset and certifications.
- Support – Many people prefer to contact a local business to solve their problems rather than deal with sometimes non-existent customer support from tech companies.
Smart Home Business Pros
- Low Startup Costs – Starting this business will require minimal startup costs. You don’t need any office space to start as you’ll be working out of your clients home. Your initial costs will include a website and marketing.
- No qualifications needed – For installing many off the shelf smart home products like Philips Hue, you won’t need any special qualifications. If you do need to install more complex products you can always sub-contract an electrician.
- Growing Industry – Smart Home products are constantly evolving and improving. The market is also growing.
How to Get Started
If you’re new to Smart Home products than this business probably isn’t for you. You’ll need to have existing skills setting up smart home products. If you do have those skills than here is what you’ll need:
- Get an ABN and Register for GST – In order to invoice customers you’ll need an ABN and be registered for GST.
- Get a Business Name – If you want to trade under anything other than your name you’ll need to register a business name.
- Setup a Website – These days setting up a website is cheap. I use Siteground which also comes with email.
- Start Marketing – The best place to start marketing is through word of mouth. Announce on your socials such as Facebook that you’re offering smart home installation services. You’d be surprised how well this works.
If you don’t know where to start then I would recommend taking this course on Udemy. It will teach you everything in lots of detail from someone who runs their own successful smart home business.
How much Money will a Smart Home Business Make
You’ll make money when you charge clients for your services. This could be recommending smart home products, installing these products and providing troubleshooting and support. For installation jobs you’d most likely quote a figure based on the time taken to install products. You can also invoice customers and purchase products for them. You may be able to source products at wholesale rates and sell them at retail prices.
If you’re offering customer support you could charge an hourly fee.
The amount you’ll make from this business will depend on the numbers of customers you have. It’s entirely possible to build this business into a full-time income.