I’ve been using Spaceship Voyager for the last few years. Spaceship is an app for investing in a broad portfolio of stocks. But how does it compare to other micro-investing apps and is it worth investing in? Here are my experiences with the app.
The 1 Cent Challenge is a really easy way to save money, especially if you’ve struggled saving money in the past. If you’re looking to save for a holiday, to buy shares or just to put some money aside in an emergency fund, you should try this challenge.
How the 1 Cent Challenge Works
You start on day one by saving just 1 cent. On day two, you save 2 cents, on day three you save 3 cents. Got the idea? Basically you just increase by 1 cent each day.
While it doesn’t sound like a lot to begin with, over the course of a year it will start to add up. In fact by the end of the year, you will have saved over $670!
Guru investor Charlie Munger once said “The first $100,000 is a bitch”. It sure is. When you start out investing and saving, your money will gain very little from compounding. Most of your growth will come from putting aside money from your salary and other side income.
Once you hit $100k though, things will start to become a little easier. For many people $100k seems completely unreachable. But there are countless stories of people who have been dilligent with their finances and managed to overcome that barrier. Here are some tips you can use on your journey to ammassing your first $100k.
Living a frugal lifestyle is not something that just happens overnight. But over time you can make lots of little changes that will all add up to more money in your bank account. Here are some my top tips for living a frugal life, let me know your tips in the comments.
Get your finances in order
- Start Investing and not just Saving – Using a “savings” account to save money over the long term isn’t very smart. You actually end up losing money due to inflation and the low interest rates. You’re better off investing. There are lots of different ways to start investing and the good news is you can start with as little as $10.
- Setup an Emergency Fund – An Emergency fund will help you in the future when unexpected expenses come up. Setting up an emergency fund is simple and is something all young people should do.
- Set yourself saving goals – It’s hard to be frugal if you’re not working towards a bigger goal. My partner and I recently decided to buy a house together. So we have a goal of saving the deposit. This energised my saving efforts. Come up with a bigger goal that you want to work towards and record your progress over time.
- Pay off your debts – Before you start investing or savings, it’s often smartest to pay down or pay off completely your debts. It’s easy to put them to one side and forget they exist, but you’ll be much happier if you actively try and work on any debt.
- Stop gambling – Gambling in Australia is a huge problem for many young people. In the long run, you’re never going to make a profit gambling. There are services available to help you stop gambling – even if you don’t think it’s a problem. If you want to gamble, do it on something like Bitcoin where at least you have a chance of making money in the long term.
It’s tax time! Thankfully these days submitting a tax return is super easy for most people. And a lot of you will be getting a nice little tax refund. So what are some smart things you can do with your return? I’ve put together 5 of my ideas, let me know in the comments if you have any ideas of your own.
Christmas and the holidays can be an expensive time of year. There are gifts, parties, travel etc. So here are some tips on how you can save some extra money for the holidays. I’ve focused on finding extra revenue sources that you can use in your spare time.
An emergency fund is money set aside in a bank account to cover unexpected expenses. Here is why you need one and how to setup an emergency fund quickly.
At some point in life we are all going to face unexpected expenses. These might include:
- Hospital Visits and emergency care
- Car repairs
- Home appliance repairs or replacements
These expenses can be in the thousands of dollars. In a worst case scenario you could be faced with both unemployment and an unexpected expense.
Micro investing is a great way for anyone – no matter their financial situation, to get started investing and saving. In this post i’m going to explain why micro investing works and the best options in Australia for getting started.
Raiz is a micro-investing platform that invests your spare change in a diversified portfolio. It’s one of a growing number of investing apps targeted towards millennials. I’ve had great success with Raiz over the past couple of years. In this post I’m going to share some tips on how you can get the most out of investment with Raiz.